Thursday, March 31, 2016

Easter #2/ All scars have a story

One of my earliest memories is an interesting one to say the least...

On my 5th birthday we had a lot of family and friends over! We were doing what I loved most - playing sports (in this instance, baseball!). For one of my gifts I was given a full baseball set - uniform, hat, glove,and a bat all included. It was great!! 

We were having a blast (or a "ball" should I say) and everyone was enjoying themselves. For whatever reason, my 5-year-old self decided I did NOT want to play catcher anymore! In fact, I was so set on not playing catcher that I couldn't even wait until the batter was done hitting....yep I took a brand new bat to the face in a full swing!

A long trip to the hospital and 7 stitches later - I now have a scar under my eye! Even though I am now 19, 14 years later - I can still see where I was hit with the swing!

Scars are an interesting vehicle of nostalgia. Scars come in all shapes and sizes - from my own scar from a silly mistake in my youth, to large ones on a veteran from battle in a far off land. Some survivors of the Holocaust still have their prisoner number branded into their forearm, a constant reminder of the hell they once lived through. 
Some scars aren't visible. 
Regardless of the diversity of scars  - they all have one thing in common; They all have a story, they are proof of conquering a challenge. Proof that God heals.

In this Easter season - there is one story of scars that trumps all.
After suffering for all of the world's sins, enduring merciless temptation, and a terrible crucifixion, Jesus Christ rose from the tomb.  
He overcame all of this for us! 

When he returned to his apostles he said 

Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that am the God of Israel, and the God of the whole earthand have been slain for the sins of the world.

His scars were proof of the prophesy told by the ancient American prophet, Alma who said 

 11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
 12 And he will take upon him deaththat he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.
 13 Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me.
For all of you out there who may be embarrassed of your scars, either physical or spiritual, my challenge for you is to look to Christ's example and see the marking as proof that you are stronger than your challenges, more powerful than the adversity in this world, and through Christ's merciful hand, able to move on and become a stronger man or woman because of that. 
Love, Elder Clancy
Service at a local food pantry
Photo moment!

Rugby
Elder Boatman and Elder Clancy meet for the first time!
(NOTE FROM LISA: This was a special pic for me b/c Matt and I
were close friends with Elder (Tanner) Boatman's parents before
all of us had kids! They were stationed here in Beaufort while Tanner's
Dad served as a Navy Dentist. They now reside in CA!
Fun to have our boys meet for the very first time!



No comments:

Post a Comment