Sunday, February 7, 2016

Charity - The Pure Love of Christ



Every month so far I have been trying to focus on one Christlike attribute that I can work towards. In January it was CHARITY - The Pure Love of Christ. 
Paul tells us in the Bible how important charity is. I think it is even more dire for me considering I am on a mission (Loving and serving others). If I didn't have charity towards the people I was serving, do you think I would be an effective missionary? Much less a happy person? Of course not!! So that is why I decided I wanted to focus on CHARITY this past month. 

On a mission it can be very hard to have charity! Whether it is companionship struggles, people slamming the door in your face or even just being out of your comfort zone, sometimes the idea of being compassionate to everyone you meet seems more like a nice poem than real life. However there are amazing examples of Christlike charity that we are blessed to see almost everyday. 

The world in which we live is a very tumultuous and transient place. It was once said that the sun never sets on the British Empire. Well now it sets at around 7PM! There is constant unrest abroad and at home. The other night we awoke to a crowd of 6-7 women screaming profanities and attacking each other right outside our apartment complex! One might think that is impossible to see charity in the crazy world in which we live. However, I am proven wrong almost every time the words run through my mind.

Charity can be found in the simple forgiveness of a loved one who made a mistake. 
Charity can be found in random acts of kindness. 
Charity is found in turning the other cheek. 

Recently there was an event which shocked not just South Carolina but also the entire nation as a whole. On June 17th, 2015 a deranged young man named Dylann Roof walked into Emmanuel AME church in Charleston, and did the unspeakable. He murdered 9 peaceful, loving children of God who had welcomed him to their Church that night for a Bible Study Class. I think I speak for all as I say we were devastated and heartbroken after hearing of this. Many who knew and worked with these wonderful people struggled to find words to describe their broken hearts. That night before I went to bed I prayed to my Heavenly Father to comfort their loved ones. As tears rolled down my face, I wondered how anyone could keep moving forward after such a tragedy. Well a few weeks later after the murderer was caught, I stood in amazement and awe. The mother of one of the victims, publicly forgave this seemingly soulless man. 







Comparably speaking I can't think of anything that would come close to this act of Charity except in Christ's own life. As he was spat upon and mocked he continued walking...to save those very men who despised him. I think that as we continue to work to see the good not only in the world but in others, that our lives will be more fruitful and more enjoyable. I know that as we continue to work towards seeing our fellow men through our Heavenly Father's eyes that we will view the world through a brighter lens. Even though sometimes the silver linings are only visible through the smoke, I know that if we have charity we can continue to make the world a better place. 

Ernest Hemmingway said - "
For a true writer, each book should be a new beginning where he tries again for something that is beyond attainment. He should always try for something that has never been done or that others have tried and failed. Then sometimes, with great luck, he will succeed." 

Well we are all writing the story of our lives. Why not make it a best seller? :-) Have some charity and the world will open up around you.
Transfer Day - The Sisters, Elder Carlson and I in our Lava-lavas 
Love, Elder Clancy
Using our tetris skills to pack the car for the big transfer
to Pueblo
Yes, this is a CASTLE, Mom. Someone actually LIVES here. 
The Elders volunteer at the Pueblo Zoo one day a week.
Here is Elder Johnson trying to kiss a camel ha ha
Me and Elder Gill on Transfer Day

Elder Anderson with the African Porcupine


No comments:

Post a Comment